Magdalena Andreozzi, CHWC, CPT, is a grandmother, artist, entrepreneur and founder of Grands Flourish, Inc,. a Rhode Island non-profit organization providing supports and services for grandparents raising grandchildren impacted by substance use disorder other traumas.
Andreozzi’ s world changed forever back in 2015; it happened suddenly, there was no time to prepare her home, arrange childcare nor was she ready to navigate the complex child welfare system in addition to coping with an adult offspring’s addiction. Driven by the challenges she faced, Magdalena started Grands Flourish, which helps other grandparents navigate challenging journeys that she and her grandchild faced. “There is power in having the information you need, together with love, it’s what helps our grandfamilies succeed.”
Prior to founding Grands Flourish, Andreozzi was the Head Diva and CEO of The Event Diva, LLC, which provided corporate event planning and fundraising services to high-end clients and savvy brides. You can find Andreozzi ‘s designs and events featured in Brides Magazine. She has also been quoted by The Boston Globe Frugal Brides Have No Worries, The New York Times and the Providence Business News called her “The eyes and ears of the industry”
Andreozzi graduated magna cum laude from Providence College with a Bachelor in Fine Arts and is a member of Eta Lamda Honor Society. Additionally, she acquired her Management Certificate from Brown University, fast-tracked at Wellcoaches School of Coaching, a Harvard Affiliate becoming a certified Health & Wellness Coach. She also holds professional credentials as a Nationally Certified Phlebotomist specializing in drug specimen collections.
Magdalena lives in Rhode Island with her granddaughter and her son. They enjoy gardening, Girl Scout adventures, baking cookies and spending time with friends and family.
RI State Liaison
Lori Dorsey – Rhode Island State Liason
We are honored to have Lori Dorsey, LICSW, LCDCS. She joins Grands Flourish as the RI State Liaison for Grandparents. She is a person with more than 31 years in recovery. She and husband had legal guardianship and raised their granddaughter for many years due to the opioid crisis’ effects on their family, and still maintain a close relationship with her. Lori has worked with the RI Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals for the past 17 years as Sr. Public Health Promotion Specialist.
In addition to her busy private counseling practice she is a tireless advocate, volunteer and advisor to many organizations in the behavior health and recovery communities. Lori’s accomplished are numerous, a sampling is as follows:
- Clinical and Recovery Supports Services Coordinator for RI ATR III, prioritized adults involved in the criminal justice system.
- Clinical Coordinator for the RI Adult Drug Court and a Drug Court Team member
- Rhode Island Women’s Services Network Coordinator for NASADAD Women’s Treatment Network
- She holds a treatment seat on the RI Certification Board for Chemical Dependency Professionals
- RI Women’s Health Council member
- Lead Care Coordinator for the RI Juvenile Drug Court
- Program Coordinator of an ACT Team
- Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center Psychiatric Inpatient and Housing/Case Program Management Abuse Disorders.
- New England Regional Representative under the National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors, (NASADAD).
- 2009 Social Worker of the Year in Addictions Award by NASW.
- 2011 Presidents Award from the RI Council on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependence.
- 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Rhode Island Rally for Recovery Committee.
- 2018 Women’s Services Network Leadership Achievement Award by the National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors.
In her free time Lori enjoys photographing rainbows, and enjoys spending time with her husband and grandchildren.
Tonya McCallum – Treasurer
We are privileged to have Tonya Tavares McCallum join the Founding Board of Directors of Grands Flourish as Treasurer. Her dedication and commitment are evident in her numerous accomplishments in the field of Addiction Studies in addressing opioid use disorder prevention, treatment and recovery.
- Assistant Project Director at the Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies at Brown University School of Public Health Opioid Response Network.
- Assistant with The Opioid Response Network, created to support efforts in addressing opioid use disorder prevention, treatment and recovery, and is funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Project Director of the Motivational Interviewing Health Disparities Research Lab at Northeastern University.
- M.S. in Behavioral and Social Science Intervention at Brown University
- B.A. in Psychology from the University of Rhode Island.
Tonya’s current research interests include opioid use disorders, alcohol use disorders, and other addictions; implementation of evidence-based practices; situational adaptation, coping styles, and resiliency; social determinants of health behaviors, including acculturate stress and discrimination; under-served populations, particularly justice-involved individuals, and enhancing minority participation in treatment and research.
Tonya and her husband live life to its fullest with their 2-year-old daughter.
Joharlen Carajal – Secretary
We are excited to have Joharlen Carvajal join the Founding Board of Directors of Grands Flourish as Secretary and Bi-lingual Liaison. Her tireless passion for social services and advocacy has allowed her to provide many communities with supports children and families involved in Rhode Island Child Welfare system.
- Dean of Student Culture at Charette Charter High School, Providence, RI.
- Bi-lingual Family Support Specialist at Foster Forward, East Providence, RI.
- RI Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA Volunteer) for children living in foster care.
- Nationally Certified facilitator of the TIPS MAPP; (Trauma-Informed Partnering For Safety Permanence-Model Approach To Partnerships In Parenting)
- BA, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Rhode Island College
Joharlen has worked tirelessly to support the Latino populations in de-stigmatizing mental health within her own community as well as other undeserved populations. She adores decorating her new home and creating authentic Latino dining experiences enjoyed by both family and friends.
Grands Flourish would like to welcome Olivia Sherman. She joins our team as a case worker in alliance with West Bay Community Action of Warwick, RI to assist grandparents attending our ‘A Grand Space’ 8-week workshops and will be providing community supports and resources. She will be available to meet with grandparents at the West Warwick Senior Center on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. In addition, she will be available during our workshops.
As a Rhode Island court appointed special advocate (CASA), Olivia has been appointed by a Family Court judge to advocate for the best interests of children who have experienced abuse or neglect. In her role, she works with legal and child welfare professionals, educators and families to ensure that judges have all the information they need to make the most well-informed decision for each child.
- University of Rhode Island, B.S. Human Development & Family Studies
- RI Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Volunteer
Olivia is planning her wedding this August in Woodstock CT. When she is not at work she enjoys time with her family, nature walks and taking care of plants and flower gardens.
Tammi Stanley – Administrative Assistant
Grands Flourish would like to welcome Tammi Stanley. She joins our team as our Administrative Assistant and brings 20+ years of legal experience to support our organization.
Tammi is actively involved in the community and has been a volunteer for Big Brothers & Big Sister of America for 6 years. She thoroughly enjoys the interplay of the mentoring relationships she has developed to bring positive ‘Big Impacts’ to the Little she mentors.
- BS, University of Connecticut, Law and Society
- MS, Northeastern University in Legal Studies (in progress)
In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband and teen-twin boys. She is an avid reader, Lego lover and makes an exquisite Chicken Parmigiana.